Monday, September 26, 2011

Figuring the Transfiguring

The Transfiguration in Luke 9 (www.lifejournal.cc) has always been fascinating to me.  It appears to only happen once and it is not immediately clear about its purpose (at least to me).  I spent some time studying it a few years ago but everytime I read about it, I am fascinated.  Part of my fascination is my belief that this may be the greatest touch of heaven on earth in history.  It is definitely up there with the resurrected body of Christ and His Ascension in giving us knowledge of heavenly things.  One part that fascinates me is Peter, James, and John's recognition of Moses and Elijah.   Remember they did not have photographs of these guys nor Old Testament Bibles that had portraits of OT events like some Bibles do today.  How did they know it was Moses and Elijah?  Was it a young Moses and Elijah?  Was it what they look like before they left us? It really don't matter.  They recognized them.  I believe that is what heaven will be like. I believe I will know Peter, Paul, and, yes, Jesus, although He  will not look like He has been portrayed in American movies.  (If I am wrong, come tell me in heaven.)  However to Peter, James, and John, and to Jesus these were not just two devout saints they represented the Old Testament- the complete message of God before Christ.  The Bible that they had (our Old Testament) was called the Law and the Prophets.  The Law is Moses and the Prophets were represented by Elijah.  The message to the watchers and to Jesus as He neared the cross was that all of the Testimony of God affirms Him.  The cloud of witnesses cheer for Him.  God in that voice from the cloud endorses Him.  The word is LISTEN TO HIM!
That is still the Word today.  All of heaven affirms Him.  All of Scripture looks to Him. All of the saints better LISTEN TO HIM!  Listen to Him today, follow His Guidance, and enjoy His Presence!

No comments:

Post a Comment