Thursday, September 15, 2011

Judgment Day

I went to court one time on a traffic violation and justice was not served. I learned to drive with a 1970 Volkswagen Bug.  The Bug I drove is not one of these cute convertibles riding around today.  It was wartorn.   One of my brothers decided to clean out every ditch in the county with that Bug.  It should have died many times but my Dad can fix anything. That is usually a good thing.  It sure did not feel like it when I drove the Bug though.  After one of those wrecks we decided to let the Vo Tech at the high school paint the car.  It came home a pretty red (no more bondo fenders).  Over one summer that pretty red turned to a dull flat orange.  It was almost like those toys that turn colors when the water hits them.  It was quite remarkable...remarkably disappointing.  By the time I got it, there was a horrible pitched lean to the front right tire, however, the warped frame (Dad said they pulled it out) tilted the car to the left.  It sounds impossible but believe it is not.  One good thing: the heater worked...all the time. Thankfully the little V-shaped vent window could allow air to blow in the face as you went down the road on 100 degree days.
Well, one day I was in the Bug (not justified in calling it a Beatle), and I needed my borrowed jersey back from a neighbor's house.   I pulled up on the slanted curb, checked my mirrors, and did the nicest U turn on a double line road that you will ever see....or I made half a turn.  As I got about halfway around, I came to an abrupt stop.  It seems that the owner of a flat black Super Nova with no brake lights and oil slick tires was using that road that day as a drag strip and my little turnaround to socialize messed up his landing spot.  It sent me into Kingdom come.  I came to rest in someone's front yard with half that Bug in a crumpled mess.  The punchline: They wrote me a ticket!  I was the clean cut kid in the legal car, doing the equilivalent of a left turn (that is my story and I am sticking to it). It was the thug with the drag car probably hauling Appalachian moonshine for a militia group somewhere fortified in the hills along the NC-SC line. 
The good news: The Bug died.  Now don't misunderstand: Dad brought it home. He looked it over several times but I left little to salvage.  I got me a Honda.
The bad news: I had to go to court and there was no grace.  $60 and 4 points: making an illegal turn on a double yellow line road.  The truth: I was merely making a left turn to nowhere.  I had no time to turn the car "around".  I was interrupted.  I should not be charged for a crime that was interrupted.  I merely had an intention of doing an illegal turn- the big headed boy with the Batmobile stopped me. 

However, my Bible tells me (www.lifejournal.cc) that there is a better day of judgment coming for me.
Although I was amazed at the injustice served me that day,  I stand amazed at the grace that I have been given about more serious matters. 
Rev. 20:1-12- Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. From his presence earth and sky fled away, and no place was found for them. 12And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life.
This is often referred to as the Great White Throne judgment. At final judgment all that do not accept Christ will  receive their sentence here. Two books are at the throne of God: a record of our actions, which would condemn us and a record of our salvation. If not for Christ, our actions would be in one and our name would not be in the other. But if you are a child of God saved by the blood of Christ, your eternal destination is not set by your record but Christ.  Without Christ, you cannot do enough and you are eternally doomed.
Well before Batman sent me into space and the courts sentenced my intentions, I gave my heart and life to Christ and now, not only is He my advocate, but He is my substitute.  He has served the sentence for my many sins.  I walk free because of Christ.  If you don't know Him personally, today is the day.  Contact me: drheeringa@bellsouth.net.  If you have committed your life to Christ, celebrate it!  You are free!  What a blessing!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment