Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Free and Fruitful

I came to the conclusion at the first of this year that I had not read enough classic American literature.  I realized that I knew the titles but not the stories and that I ought to read more.  So I made me a list.  I checked several 'great book' list and came up with a less of 75 books or so.  Almost half way there.  Along the way, some have suggested books that did not make the list.  Some suggestions I took and some I didn't.  One I did (and I am glad I did) was Dollar Cotton by John Faulkner, William's brother.  I wish William wrote so smoothly because he is on my list a few times (he is hard to read).  Dollar Cotton is about Otis Town who had nothing, bought some cheap, poor land in the Delta and made something.  He made something big...then he lost it.  I called it the opposite of Job.  Job had a lot, lost it, and got more back.  These roller coaster rides are interesting to read...but scary to live through.   Ask the Israelites.  Had nothing.  Came out of Egypt and got something.  Built it up, then split it up, and then lost it.  However, through their Messiah, our Savior, the Lord, they got a lot more than land.  They received the opportunity for salvation, personal restoration, and real freedom.  However you want to take Ezekiel 34 ( www.lifejournal.cc ) today, I know that there is also a spiritual message there.  Eze. 34:37-  The trees will yield their fruit and the ground will yield its crops; the people will be secure in their land. They will know that I am the LORD, when I break the bars of their yoke and rescue them from the hands of those who enslaved them.  You see I believe that the truths that were spelled out to a people losing their land and going into exile, have truths for us as well.  Psalm 1 tells me that fruitfulness comes by one who mediates upon the Word and then lives it out.  Paul goes on to tell me about spiritual fruit or fruit of the Spirit.  Jesus told me that, unlike the world's yoke, His yoke is easy and His burden is light.  As well, the slavery of sin that we can be released from is well documented in the letters of Paul.   We can be free, fruitful, secure, and at ease, but only in Christ.  What a thing to celebrate with our devotion, our love, and our focus!  Do it today and have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment