Sunday, February 19, 2012

Consider the Whole Psalm

Today is a great day in our reading.  I found significant passages that spoke to my heart in Numbers, Psalms, and in Acts. (www.lifejournal.cc)  I love the blessing that you find in Numbers 6:24-26-The Lord bless you and keep you; 25 the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you;26 the Lord lift up his countenance[c] upon you and give you peace.  You often hear that passage in a benediction and how appropriate it is in that setting!
I also loved the passion that we see from Paul that Agrippa and everyone else come to the know the Lord in a personal way. And Agrippa said to Paul, “In a short time would you persuade me to be a Christian?” 29 And Paul said, “Whether short or long, I would to God that not only you but also all who hear me this day might become such as I am—except for these chains.”- Acts 26:28-29.  If not already very obvious, this passage makes it very clear that Paul's motivation for his committed actions was about the salvation of the Lord changing people's lives. 
However, the passage that really gets me is Psalm 33.  You should recognize the first line:  My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?  This is the passage that Christ was referring to on the cross.  If you never have, I want you to consider the entire psalm being upon the heart and mind of the Lord on the cross.  Many believe that Christ uttered this because he felt betrayed or forsaken by His Father.   I have heard multiple times how God turned his back on Christ and Christ uttered these words in response.  I don't know all the answers to all the questions such a scenerio brings up.  I just ask you to consider this.  If I were to say, The Lord is my shepherd, would you know what I meant?  For many, I would not have to utter another word.  You would know that I spoke of not wanting, green pastures, still water, my overflowing cup and goodness and mercy following me.  If I stand and says simply, 'The Lord is my shepherd', many in my congregation could finish the sermon.  We are familiar with that passage. It speaks to our heart. 
Consider on the same note that many at Christ's feet would know Psalm 33 and would be as familiar with it as we are Psalm 23.  Could it be that when Christ spoke simply the first line, he was speaking of the whole psalm and his listeners knew where that was headed?  If you read Psalm 33 closely, you will see how prophetic it is to the state of Christ on the cross.  You will also see that even in the midst of the most difficult struggle, the praise was going to the Father.  Consider v.23-24-You who fear the Lord, praise him!... For he has not despised or abhorred the affliction of the afflicted,
and he has not hidden his face from him, 
but has heard, when he cried to him.  Christ was, in fact, stating that the Father did not hide his face from Him.  Even when it was hard to understand the sense of betrayal, the blackened sky, the certain death, in reality, Christ kept his eye and heart on the task at hand and appropriately referred to this psalm (not just meaning the first line) in the most crucial hour, thus giving praise to God even as He took on the wrath of God.  S

I think it is worth our pondering.  Enjoy it today and and give Him praise!  I hope you day includes worship in your local church this morning!  Have a great day in the Lord!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment