Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day

Today is Leap Day, February 29th.  Leap Day comes in every year that is divisible by 4, such as 2008, 2012, and 2016.  Years that are divisible by 100 (1800, 1900, etc.) do not have leap days except those divisible by 400 (1600, 2000, etc.).  It happens because the sun's complete revolution is actually 365 days and 6 hours.  We ignore the 6 hours for three years and then catch up (or leap) in the 4th year or leap year. 
Due to the fact that are reading plan (www.lifejournal.cc) does not acknowledge Leap Day, there is no Scripture on the previous mentioned link or on our bookmarks.  (I can make bookmarks available to you, if you contact me at drheeringa@bellsouth.net.)  However, I don't want to leap over Scripture so I moved on to the March 1st reading.  Tomorrow we will be reading Numbers 28, 29 and Mark 8.  I am reading it today as well. 
It takes my breath away every time I read the words of Jesus found in Mark 8:36-  For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?  When I read that, I think about the many folks that work so hard to gain the things that will not last, yet neglect the things that are everlasting.  I recently read parts of an interview with Tom Brady, the very successful NFL quarterback of the New England Patriots.  He has taken the New England Patriots to the Super Bowl five times, however, the first three times he took them, they won.  After the third win, he was interviewed on 20/20 and asked an interesting question while answering one.  Brady said, "Why do I have three Super Bowl rings and still think there’s something greater out there for me? I mean, maybe a lot of people would say, ‘Hey man, this is what is.’ I reached my goal, my dream, my life. Me, I think, ‘ . . . It’s got to be more than this.’ I mean this isn’t, this can’t be what it’s all cracked up to be.” When the interviewer asked, “What’s the answer?” Brady could only say, “I wish I knew. I wish I knew.”
I wish I knew....What do you profit if you gain the whole world, reach all your goals, yet lose your own soul?
Share Jesus today.  Everyone desperately needs Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment