Monday, October 17, 2011

The Lord Gives

I don't watch a lot of TV preachers, however, I used to have the opportunity to watch E.V. Hill quite often.  E.V.'s show was mainly comprised of his visits to one of those gaudy, gold, 'glimpses of heaven' kind of sets for Christian TV telethon.  You know, big hair and air conditioned dog house kind of people.  However, it was always ironic that he would set in such a setting.  He seemed the polar opposite.  Whereas it seems all they ever do is promote giving to their organization, all E.V. ever promoted was the outreach ministry that his church had in Los Angeles.  It was called "The Lord's Kitchen" (pronounced the LAWWWWD's Kitchen).  As a pastor and leader of a small food ministry, I appreciate his concerns for that ministry.  He never asked to keep him on the air. Never advertised a book.  He just preached.  Never got caught up in the setting in which he sat (all the gaudiness).  He just saw it as an opportunity to preach the Gospel and that is what he did so faithfully.    He is dead now but before his death, he experienced the death of his wife.  He preached her funeral.  James Dobson and Focus on the Family played the funeral on the radio afterwards.  It was amazing!  I could hear him again and again as I read Job this morning.  His key passage (and he repeated it again and again) was my key passage today (www.lifejournal.cc):  The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;    may the name of the LORD be praised.- Job 1:20b  
I don't pretend to understand the economy of God.  I don't know why our community had to experience the lost of a beautiful teenage girl this past August.  I know, however,  that at least one has been saved in the aftermath, that many lives have been changed and challenged, and I know that a community has come together in an unbelievable fashion in her memory one time after another over the last two and half months.  I know that the community came together and raised over $13,000 for a scholarship in her name when the goal was $10,000.  I know that through a nationwide radio contest, it was this community that won a very festive Friday and a nationally broadcast tailgate party.  I don't understand the economy of God, but I trust it.  I see the evidence of His Wisdom and His Insight again and again.  I don't know what tomorrow holds but I know who holds tomorrow and I will rest in that.
I hope you do as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment