Friday, October 14, 2011

Overhearing

Years ago a man came by my office and plopped down in the chair close to my desk and started talking.  It was a casual conversation but unlike him to come in and just start talking.  My door is usually open and it is not uncommon to get in such small talk conversations.  His phone rang and I hated that I could hear the conversation.  I was trying not to listen but his spouse was so loud and belligerent I could not help but hear.  I turned around and played around with whatever was on my computer screen but my mind was not on the screen.  My mind was not on the conversation either.  My mind was on what that poor ole boy had to deal with at home.  He tried to explain that he had come by the church.  He tried to explain that he was around the preacher.  She just kept on profanely barking about whatever her problem was.  Some things are better left unsaid.  Some things are better left unheard.  I don't know if he ever realized how loud his phone was set, because I tried not to acknowledge it (whether I was right or wrong).  However my prayers for him intensified after that episode. 
I read about some overhearing in Nehemiah today.  What a polar opposite blessing it is compared to the conversation that I previously described. Nehemiah 12:43 (www.lifejournal.cc) said- And they offered great sacrifices that day and rejoiced, for God had made them rejoice with great joy; the women and children also rejoiced. And the joy of Jerusalem was heard far away.
Oh, I have got to ask you while I am asking myself:  What are people overhearing about you?  Are they overhearing complaining or sarcasm or gossip or profane things or anger or whining or mourning or are they hearing the praise of the Lord from your lips?  Are they hearing 'woe is me' or are they hearing the 'joy of Jesus'?   I do not need to tell anyone that this ole earth and the community in which any of us lives needs Jesus desperately.  I just need to remind all of us that Jesus is to be shared through our lives.  What better way for it to begin than for them to overhear the joy that we have in Christ?  Speak of His Joy plainly and loudly today!.....And Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment