Friday, October 7, 2011

Marveling and Silenced

What a week!  Ken Smith has been with us this week in a great revival.  We heard him speak eight times over four days and what a wonderful job.   The true fruit will continue to be seen throughout the year.

The other night my family was leaving the church and we went by someone's trash and saw a big scallop shaped wicker chair that was been thrown out.  It was the kind that was popular twenty or thirty years ago.  You know the kind in graduation pictures with 1980's beauties with puffed hair standing behind it.  Well, we thought of a neighbor that has a knack for finding good deals and a gift for taking junk and making it into something beautiful.   I stopped, got the chair, laid it on top of my car, and drove home holding it with my arm out the window in true 'Sanford and Son' style.  Those that saw us laughed at us. We laughed too until my hand cramped from gripping it so hard out of fear that it would fall in front of another car and liability would get the best of me.   We put it on Deanna's front porch (also known as Dean-ER)  and just waited to see what would come of it. (By the way, the bottom of the seat was busted out.) Well, I think she liked it.  She told me she was one of the beauties that stood behind such a chair at graduation and I think she fell for it.  It said on her immaculately cultivated front porch for a week.

This morning I woke up at 42 years of age for the first time and went out to get the paper.  It was about 5 AM and there was a huge flashing sign in my front yard that said, "Happy 42nd Birthday, Pasture!"  (The Pasture spelling is to emphasize the southern slang that we Mississippians enjoy. A long running joke.) The sign was accompanied by "the chair"  that now has been converted into a very fancy port- a- potty and another sign that said, "Happy Stinkin' Birthday."  That sign was accompanied by  several paper Peppy LePues (the little skunk off Bugs Bunny).  Another sign (huge signs) said 'We love you Pasture."  "42" was cut out and placed on stands beside the chair.   I bellylaughed for 5 minutes.  I am blown away.  I must say, "They got me."  

Do you want to know what else got me?  Watching Jesus get them!   The 'them' I speak of this time is the Pharisees trying to catch him.  Read Luke 20:26- And they were not able in the presence of the people to catch him in what he said, but marveling at his answer they became silent.  He has been marveling and silencing people ever since.  Reflect on Him today!  He will do the same for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment