Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Great Day!

Yesterday I was able to do something that I have been looking to do for over five years: I walked the approach trail at Amicalola Falls, GA to the Southern Terminus of the Appalachian Trail.  This approach trail is considered 'strenous' by hikers and I know it is for a fat boy.  We bought a ride back to the van after reaching the top.  Ron Brown gives hikers rides every day and he has seen a lot.  He estimated that if all the thru-hikers (the guys and girls that take 6 months to walk the 2,108 mile trail at one time)started with the approach trail, only 1/3 would continue on.  The approach trail ends people's dreamy ideas of the great walk in the woods.  It is also something that I am sure I would not have been able to carry out (or at least without a lot of problems) a few months ago.  In July I started my prep.  I have lost 52 lbs. and walked nearly 250 miles.  Not yet physically where I want to be but I'm still striving.

Yesterday was a great day because I got to spend it with a dear friend, Bryan Clevenger.  I was Bryan's pastor for ten years and I have seen him suffer with cancer, go through unusual and painful surgeries, celebrate the miraculous birth of his daughter, and make great strides in the Lord over that decade.  I often say that Bryan is a Gulf War veteran, a cancer survivor, a Doctor of Education, a high school track and cross country coach, a history buff, and a great Christian; in another words, he is a hero.  He took me on as his case and has cheered me all along the way as I have tried to physically improve myself.

Yesterday was not the end of the journey, but only the beginning.  We plan to do more day hikes on the Appalachian Trail.  A great day and a memory maker.  Besides some muscle strain in my right thigh from all my ascending steps, I am unscathed and ready for more.

Today, as we continue to Prepare 90 Days for Easter (P90E), we read Mark 14 and Romans 16.

In Mark 14 a beautiful sacrifice is made and the aroma of such a personal cost for the cause of Christ has never left the room. Jesus put it this way in Mark 14.9- And truly, I say to you, wherever the gospel is proclaimed in the whole world, what she has done will be told in memory of her.

Never underestimate the impact of your personal sacrifice for the cause of Christ. We are still amazed with this lady's sacrifice.  Let's amaze folks with our dedicated service to the Lord.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment