Monday, March 11, 2013

Anticipation

Today, as we continue to Prepare 90 Days for Easter (P90E), we read Luke 21, Psalm 42, and Psalm 63.

One of my favorite passages is Psalm 42.1 for a few of reasons.  First the verse- As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. 
I like this passage because I like a walk in the woods.  Growing up in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, I have walked up several trails and I think I have enjoyed every one of them.  It is really neat when you walk up on wildlife, at least the non-dangerous type.  I like animals that are more scared of me than I am of them.   Where I live now, I often travel down the Natchez Trace Parkway and it is known for its deer in the parts I often drive.  I don't like to see them there, because they damage a vehicle.  However, there is a spot on the oft-traveled Trace with a stream flowing through and deer often assembled.  It is a beautiful scene, as long as they don't come to the road.

I also like it because I am often thirsty for the Lord.  I would have wrote this psalm- Like my dog loves to lap in her water bowl, so my soul loves to take in His Word.  What a privilege we have in God today!  Take advantage of it!

One more reason I love this passage...especially today.  Tomorrow I get to do, if it is the Lord's Will, something I have been anticipating for a few years now.  In the morning I will leave early (and will not be writing) to pick up a friend and drive to Amicalola Falls in north Georgia.  Amicalola Falls is a beautiful place of its own, but it also marks the spot where the Appalachian Trail starts.   From Georgia the trail heads north through the Shenandoah Valley to the state of Maine.  However, to get to the beginning of the Trail, you have to hike the approach trail or drive to within a mile of the Southern Terminus up a log road.  Well, tomorrow, we are planning to walk the approach trail.  The approach trail is an eight mile trail that takes you from 1300 ft to 3500 ft. to the top of Springer Mountain.  Springer Mountain is where the Appalachian Trail begins.   It is not an easy trail, but it ought to be fun to do.   Bryan Clevenger is the one going with me.  Bryan is a Gulf War Veteran, a cancer survivor, a triathlete, a high school coach, and a wonderful man of God.   Bryan also is well prepared to carry my carcass out of there if it is more than I thought it was.  I look forward to the day.
Pray for us if you think of it tomorrow.

I look forward to this day as well.   Are you thirsty for The Lord?  He is the only thing that satisfies

No comments:

Post a Comment