Thursday, March 22, 2012

Minding Yours

Well, yesterday was a fun day.  I drove to Jackson to pray the invocation for the state Senate's session.  I left early to run around Jackson a little before I was to be there, however, on the way, my senator told me to come on.  When I got there it was rainy and stormy and Russell (my senator) met me at the car with an umbrella.  He ushered me into a luncheon held by the Egg Board. We made are own omelets, got a goody bag, and hitched a ride with the Capital Police back to the Capital.  The lieutenant governor, who presides over the Senate, had a meeting in Washington, DC that morning and that delayed the session (and the prayer) until 4 PM.  Our Rep. Preston Sullivan ate with us and walked around with us as well until his session started at 2 PM.  We went to the House Session, was introduced, and moved on.  At 4 PM I was introduced by Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves and prayed the invocation.  I prayed for safety for the citizens of our state on a stormy day.  I prayed for the personal salvation of each lady and gentleman of the Senate.  I prayed that they would, based on that relationship, as Solomon seek the wisdom of the Lord, follow His Counsel, and lead our state to be the best state that He can allow us to be.  I was welcomed to remain on the Senate floor with full privileges for the day.   It was a neat day.  I had great conversations with Sen. Polk of Polk Sausage and Sen. Hudson of Hudson's Salvage as well.   I am very thankful to Sen. Jolly for asking me to come and accommodating me so.  (I also saw T. Boone Pickens, the oil man turned gas and wind- that sounds bad- that is also an Oklahoma billionaire, in a press conference with the governor.  I passed him in the hallway but I am none the richer for it- get it?)

Tonight we are hosting the Pastors and Wives Welcome Banquet for our new part-time Associational Missions Director, Gary Permenter.   That will be another neat opportunity to serve fellow pastors. 

Next week I've got jury duty!  That might be interesting as well.

In I Corinthians 7 Paul gives a lot of instruction about honoring the Lord through marriage and sexual purity.  It is great instruction to live by.  We can both follow it and advise from it.  The verse that struck a chord with me this morning, however, is I Cor. 7:17-  Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. This is my rule in all the churches. (www.lifejournal.cc)  Let's live our lives for the Lord!  Counsel when needed.  Don't nose in so much about others.  Each walks their own road.  We all are to be guided by the Lord and Godly counsel, not hearsay logic.  Honor Him today!

No comments:

Post a Comment