Monday, March 5, 2012

Upon His Soldiers

Of the fond memories that I have as a child, one of the very sweet ones is when I remember the times my father put me on his shoulders and carried me around.  Sometimes it was because I was tired.  Sometimes it was so I could see.  Sometimes, I'm sure, it was so he could keep up with me in a busy place.  It is not something that I think about often.  It has mostly come when my children ask me to put them on my shoulders.  One of my children is too big for shoulders now.  The youngest, however, asks several times a week, "Daddy, can you put me on your soldiers?"  When I do, I am quickly and quietly reminded of the times my daddy carried me.  I knew I would not get lost.  I knew I would not get tired.  I knew my Dad had me. 
What a wonderful, reflecting memory that is when I read Deuteronomy 1:29-31 - Then I said to you, ‘Do not be in dread or afraid of them. 30 The Lord your God who goes before you will himself fight for you, just as he did for you in Egypt before your eyes, 31 and in the wilderness, where you have seen how the Lord your God carried you, as a man carries his son, all the way that you went until you came to this place.’  (www.lifejournal.cc)
It is a blessing to know that God was willing to carry His People through the difficult times, just as a father carries a child.  It is an even greater blessing to know that He still will carry us when we feel lost, afraid, tired, or we cannot see what is ahead.   As Christ promised us in John 14:18- I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you.   He is reliable.  He is there.  We can rest in it.
Don't misunderstand me:  we have a responsibility to walk with the Lord.   It sure is a blessing, however, to know that when we are tired, lonely, or need another view, he is able and willing to carry us on his soldiers....I mean, his shoulders!  Rest in that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment