Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Hush!

The greatest lesson that I learn from Job...well...one of them (there are several 'greatest' ones)...is the freedom that we have to express ourselves to the Lord when He moves in ways we don't understand.  Job expressed his thoughts and feelings to God.  Sometimes it is uncomfortable to read when he does it.  Those of us raised not to question the Lord so much, don't feel real comfortable with it.  However, it is there.  He brings his petitions, oh let's be honest, his gripes and complaints to the Lord very openly.  Let me tell you where he got it right-- he brought his complaints to the Lord.  He did just tell everybody else what his problem was, but brought it straight to the Lord.  When you understand that God knows our heart, knows what we are thinking, and is fully aware of our fears, doubts, and bellyaches about the life that has 'been thrown at us', you understand that we are better off dealing with those things with God than with everyone else. 

With that in mind read Job 40.3-5
3 Then Job answered the Lord and said:
4 “Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you?
I lay my hand on my mouth.
5 I have spoken once, and I will not answer;
twice, but I will proceed no further.”
 
Yes, we can ask and complain away, however, it may be best just to hush.   That is right-- I said it.  Hush!  The next time you burst in before the throne of God having gained access to the Father through the shed blood of Christ who is making intercession for us until He comes back to receive us, spill your beans and then....hush....and listen.  Get it off your chest, but hurry, because your time is better spent listening to Him talk to you than listening to yourself talk to Him.  That is especially true when you think about the fact that He knows what you are going to say before you say it.
 
We can get so busy telling God everything that we want and need and how we want it that we miss His still, small, steadying voice that cuts through the darkness that has seemed to envelope us. 
 
Hush and listen today!  And enjoy His Presence!

No comments:

Post a Comment