Monday, April 23, 2012

Birds and Snakes

I have always had a sick fascination and fear of snakes.  I am scared to death of them...irrational so....but I love them.  When I was a kid, a creek ran through our neighborhood  and I would often play around that creek and sometimes come up on a snake.  There was one spot that had them more often than others.  There was a big leafed, bushy bush that hung over the creek that I often saw a green snake in.  He would wrap up around a branch like those exotics at the zoo.  I caught a glimpse a couple of times and was scared...and fascinated.  One time I walked down to that bush barefooted and peaked in and around.  Nothing...so I walked back up dejected.  As I walked I heard a noise.  On a small flat rock lay a little brown snake that was sunning.  I almost walked on top of it.  When I look down, his little tongue came out.  He was about as big as a pencil, but it scared me to death.  I ran a half block home, completely convinced the whole time that the snake was right at my heels about to take me down. Why was that snake in the bush so hard to find?  Why did I almost step on the other?  Because they are shrewd.  The Lord did not tell us to be sneaky and slimy like snakes but He did tell us to be shrewd and wise.  Notice Matthew 10:16-   “Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves."  (www.lifejournal.cc)
He also told us to be innocent as doves.  There is presently a small nest built in a coconut hull basket right beside our side door at the house.  Momma Bird actually flew into the house a couple of times before the babies came.   However, once the babies got there, Mother is watching from nearby.  We have glanced several times in that nest.  We have seen up to five beaks.  The picture is not a good one but you can see the open beak of one and the face of another.  It is neat to see...they are so innocent.  I am concerned about their future.  Too many dogs around here, including mine, for a bird to have much of a chance to learn to fly if he/she don't do very well the first time.
We live in a wicked and cruel world.  There are many evils and obstacles out there and we are not only to survive, we have a job to do. Let's share Jesus with the world, but let's remember to be, not sneaky and slimy, but shrewd and wise.  Let's be as innocent as a baby bird of the wiles of the world, but let's be very careful to make sure we are flying straight and safe.  I wish you the best in your path and in your flight this very day!  Have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment