Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Falls and the Rock

I am from upstate South Carolina and now live in Mississippi.  When some Mississippi friends were going to ride through my old stomping ground a couple of years ago, I decided to give them tips on some things to see.  I told them about my favorite hot dog spot (http://www.skinshotdogs.com/ ).  Hot dogs are different in Mississippi than they are in SC.  I was told shortly after I got here that hot dogs were 'kids' food' and I said, "That is because you have never had a real hot dog."  I told them about a cool store on Main Street in Greenville (http://www.mastgeneralstore.com/), a hotel to consider, and a supper spot that was good.  I told them about the mountains and some spots that they ought to check out.  One of them was Whitewater Falls.  Whitewater Falls is a beautiful scene right on the NC-SC stateline that is down one winding road then another.  I looked into it to refresh my memory and told them to be sure to see the Lower Whitewater Falls (there is also an upper).  I told them how it was a good place to park, paved sidewalks, a nice quick, good stop.  When they arrived and started walking, they called me.  They told that they were a mile into a walk that a passerby had told them was two miles.  The dear lady taking the trip had on heeled sandals and one of those big, carry-everything purses.  Instead of a paved 200 yard path, I had led them to the wrong end of the falls.   I led them to the hikers spot.  Their phone signal was in and out.  When they called me, they were breathing like horses, telling me about the next hill to climb, then the phone would go out. When they passed a true hiker, they asked him, 'how much further?'.  He said another mile.  They said, "But our preacher told us this was the right way. It was an easy walk.  He is from here.  He knows."  The hiker just laughed while sipping on his well-prepared, water bottle.   Dressed to go to the Biltmore House and then to a Christian concert at the Cove, they finally got to the Falls and got a clear signal.  When they called, they said they were sweaty, wore out, cramping feet, but enjoying the beautiful scene.  I told them they should have turned around earlier, but they said they were too far in and wanted to see it.   
On the way out they stopped at the Upper Whitewater Falls  in North Carolina and got the tourist view as well.  I had got the two spots mixed up (and may have in this explanation as well).  The Biltmore House would have to come another day. 
I am so thankful that finding the Rock is not near as hard as finding the Falls.  Psalm 61:2-3- Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, 3 for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy (www.lifejournal.cc)  Christ is our Rock!  It does not take a journey to find Him, although many journey way too long before they do.  Don't take the wrong route!  Go straight to the Rock...and lead some folks along the way too....

No comments:

Post a Comment