Tuesday, December 10, 2013

A Tennessee Thankful Heart

Today we read 2 Timothy 1-4.

Years ago I began investing in a Bible software program that has recently expanded over the years and that I have continued to invest in.  Now I have a lot more books on my computer than I do on my shelves and in boxes in closets, in my shed, and on my shelves.  It is an expansive (and expensive) program that can do a lot of wonderful things...and which I have always had very limited knowledge in how to use.  A training conference has been available for years and I have always wanted to attend.   When I saw the opportunity opening up for me to receive such training, I was excited about the possibility.  I now sit in Murfreesboro, TN after one day of training.  Two more days of training and I will know all that I can remember (It is a lot to take in).

Why the trouble? Because I believe it is important that I preach the Word as effectively as possible.  There is a lot that goes on besides writing sermons, so time efficiency is important and management is always needed. I enjoy preaching and being a pastor and I constantly want to be better at both while being the husband, father, and son that I need to be.  It is a balance that I need to continue to analyze, pray over, and be careful with.  The training is wise, but while I am here, some folks in my congregation are hurting miles away, phone calls don't feel so effective, and I miss the joy of threatening my daughters to get out of bed...RIGHT NOW!

When I read 2 Timothy this morning, I began praying prayers of thanks to God after reading              2 Timothy 4.3-4- For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening  to the truth and wander off into myths. 
I believe we live in the day in America when many will not listen to the Word of God and the truth of it.  A watered down gospel is welcome to many.  However, I am thanking God this morning that God has blessed me with a church that appreciates Biblical preaching.  There is an understanding of the need, the time it takes, and an appreciation for the attempts that I make to preach effectively.  I am thankful for my family that often visits the gift shop at the hospital when I need to check on someone or understands when the hours get long.  Dawn has always had an understanding of what it takes and I am sitting in a hotel in a snowy and slick Tennessee reading the Word and thanking God for the opportunity He gives me to ministry His Word.  I love my family.  I love my church and I am thankful for the treasure that God has allowed me to be a steward of.  May I be effective in the great balance of life.

I did not attend to get so personal this morning, however, I am very thankful.  Never be afraid of the Word of God.  It speaks to the heart of the matter.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment