Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Patience

Today we read the book of 2 Peter and John 1.

I admire patience.  I do not admire slowness, procrastination, or lollygagging, but I do admire patience.  Patience is not the person that is really, really slow at carrying out a task.  Patience is the person that waits on the person that is really slow...I am not very patient and I am sometimes around folks that do not work as fast as I wish they did.  I admire patience.  Some people say you should not pray for patience, because God will teach it to you in the longest lines at Wal-Mart.   I believe patience is a good, Godly trait, actually a fruit or evidence of His Spirit. Seek to have it in Him.  I want patience....I just need it in a hurry.

Sometimes people get impatient with God.  He doesn't work on their schedule.  He does not work on any of our schedules...and He is not going to.  He does not have to.  He works the way He works and we wait on Him.  During the wait keep something in mind.  2 Peter 3.8-But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Peter is pointing to God's patience with us in His Love.  He is slow to anger and He is abounding in love.  He works with us with patience.  Therefore, we ought to be...better be...patient with Him.  Don't try to figure out God's timetable.  Trust it.  He is patient with you.  You will have a much more fulfilling walk with Him, if you wait on Him....with patience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment