Thursday, August 18, 2011

Burning Bibles

  I have plenty of Bibles. I would guess at least fifty.  I got nice Bibles and cheap Bibles.  I got preaching Bibles and study Bibles.  I got a baptism Bible (in case I drop it) and a waterproof Bible (that is kinda cool). I've got my morning study Bible and I've got a couple of funeral Bibles.   Won't be long until I have some big print Bibles.  I love a good Bible. 

I bet if you saw someone burning Bibles you wouldn't like it. I know I wouldn't.  The Word means a lot to me and although I believe everyone has a right to do whatever their little evil hearts lead them to do with their property as long as they don't hurt other folks, burning a Bible ain't cool.  I read about a Bible burning this morning.  Well, not a premium calfskin leather bound, gold etched, double ribboned version but a scrolled, dictated, word from God through His prophet.  It is found in Jeremiah 36 :
20 After they put the scroll in the room of Elishama the secretary, they went to the king in the courtyard and reported everything to him. 21 The king sent Jehudi to get the scroll, and Jehudi brought it from the room of Elishama the secretary and read it to the king and all the officials standing beside him. 22 It was the ninth month and the king was sitting in the winter apartment, with a fire burning in the firepot in front of him. 23 Whenever Jehudi had read three or four columns of the scroll, the king cut them off with a scribe’s knife and threw them into the firepot, until the entire scroll was burned in the fire. 24 The king and all his attendants who heard all these words showed no fear, nor did they tear their clothes. 25 Even though Elnathan, Delaiah and Gemariah urged the king not to burn the scroll, he would not listen to them.  Wow! The audacity to not even pay attention to what was said.  The shunning of a prophetic word to such a degree that he could never review it after it was burned.  The pride of a man to close himself off from the Word of God.

Have you ever done it? Have you ever done what the king did? Have you ever burned the Word? Even if you have never let a Bible touch a flame, spiritually it is very possible that you read the Word or heard it read and explain to you, and walked away without regarding anything that was said.   I am not giving you credit from some methodical pause that got you through church or got you through a devotion, only to lead you to move on at the same pace you were going.  We need to value the Word of God.  It is God-Breathed, living and active.  It cuts to the heart of the matter.  Don't cut it out, throw it away or burn it off your conscience.  Don't walk away from a reading of His Word and not allow it to effect your life.  We ought to be changed.  Our mindset  ought to be challenged as we take it in.  Instead, eat the Word of God.  Take it in and let it change your Day.  Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment