Saturday, August 27, 2011

In the Midst

Today my friends in South Carolina bury a dear saint of God.  Oliver Patterson lived to be 94 years old and passed from this life on Thursday.  He was a dear friend to me for the 11 years I was his pastor and in the years since.  A cattleman, a gardener, a bee man, a pie maker, and a dear saint of God.  I adopted him as my grandfather a few years ago.   In the years since, I have checked on him when in SC.  He still would give me pies and would still speak kind words to me.  He told me one day that he liked my preaching on Revelation the best of any I had preached.  It is not ironic that we begin Revelation on the day he is buried.  Through modern technology (if all works right) I will be able to speak a word at his funeral, although I cannot be there.  God bless the Patterson family.  You bury a legend today.

Revelation 1 (www.lifejournal.cc) is one of my favorite passages of Scripture.  It is the scene behind the book of Revelation.  In Revelation 1 John describes being in exile on the island of Patmos and having a remarkable revelation (unveiling) from the Lord concerning current and future circumstances with the churches of Asia Minor.  It is God's desire that John write a letter describing what he sees with personal messages for each of the churches.  It is to be a letter that is read, copied, and then passed on.  If you look at an ancient map, you will notice that these 7 churches are side by side in the order in which they are given.  If you were to connect the cities (like a connect-the-dots) you will see an egg shaped route.  That was the postal route of the day.
Of all the scenes of Revelation that people love to talk about, my favorite is this one in Chapter 1.  He first describes what Christ looked like.  Although he saw Christ like this, the symbols of the sight were just as powerful to him and should not be missed by us.  The golden sash speaks of honor.  The white hair speaks of wisdom.  The blazing eyes speak of eyes that see all or his omniscience.  The bronze feet speak of unbeatable, able to go anywhere.  The voice speaks of power.  When these symbols are studied in more detail, the imagery becomes much more real and powerful than my quick tips here, believe me.  However, the best part is the verse of the day for me (and always will be).  Revelation 1:12-13 says- "Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, 13and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash around his chest."  With all the honor and power that is mentioned to describe Christ, the overriding theme in Revelation is that Christ walks in the midst with you.   The candlesticks or lampstands represent the churches beaming for Christ no matter their circumstances. 
It does not always feel like God is there with us, but He is....walking in the midst...It sometimes seems we are alone.  We are not, however, He is walking with us in the midst of our circumstances.  It sometimes seems that  our prayers are not heard and God does not understand.  Oh, the things we think!  No, He is right there in the midst of the candlesticks....or in the midst of those that proclaim Him as Lord and Savior and lean upon Him for strength for each day.  
I don't know what today holds for you, but I know Who holds it.  He is IN THE MIDST.  Let that soak in all day long....

No comments:

Post a Comment