Monday, August 29, 2011

Coffee and Passion

I like my coffee either hot or cold.  I did not drink coffee until I moved on the campus of New Orleans Seminary.  In the Student Center there was a coffee shop.  It had flavored coffees and teas.  I had never heard of such.  I had never heard of Starbucks and as far as I know they did not exist.  Probably in California or something.  However, the seminary had a coffee shop.  They sold chocolate covered coffee beans, flavored coffees, and such.  I remember one night I was writing a paper and eating those coffee beans like they were M & M's....well, they are not.  I got caffeinated and everything in my life was buzzing that night.  I was awake and was able to write, but I was so jacked up and nervous, I was losing it. However, it was the social scene and the study sessions of seminary that got me drinking coffee.  I like it hot.  That is until I tried iced coffee.  You can get it at McDonald's now (and it is pretty good), but then I had never heard of it and people I told about it (the non-New Orleans type) had never heard of it.   I liked it.   I like it hot and I like it Iced.  I don't like it lukewarm.  Nothing worse than pouring a cup of coffee in a Styrofoam cup at the office, putting it on my desk, and then reaching for it and grabbing yesterday's coffee.  A good gulp of that will make the heart grow fonder.   Nothing worse than lukewarm coffee. 
I don't know if Jesus was a coffee drinker but I know what he means when he says in Revelation 3:16- So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.  Now what He is talking about is not coffee, it is passion.  Either be in love with Jesus, sold out to Him, red hot on fire for His Will and His Way or don't be at all.  The evidence of how much you love Him is the evidence of true salvation.  We know there are people who love Jesus with a whole hearted passion and it is fun to watch them light up for Him.  We need to get on fire for Jesus and then let everybody else see us flame up in our love for Him.   We also know that there are people who want nothing to do with the Lord and are cold to the idea of submitting to Jesus.  One is fun to look at and the other is burdensome.  However, there is nothing worse than one who proclaims to be Christian but shows absolutely no signs of it.  Jesus called them lukewarm and those folks will about make you sick.
Don't be lukewarm today.  Flame up for Christ and light your world!!

No comments:

Post a Comment