Sunday, August 14, 2011

Drought

When we drove out west this summer, I saw signs of drought like I had never seen.  Of course, I had never been out west and the terrain is different, the air is drier, it is a different atmosphere.  However, I believe that a lot of what I saw was from the bad drought that has impacted them.  Cracks in the ground of enormous proportion and riverbeds that were completely dry or down to a trickle.   It was sad to see.  I could hear the locals talking about short showers and quick handwashes.  Most of the places I have lived, the most that has ever been done about a drought was not letting people water their lawn.  Of course a lot of people out west have no lawn.  Droughts are bad.

I'll tell you what is worse: spiritual drought.  When we wander away from God or fell to discipline our lives in a way that pleases Him, drought will set in.  Unlike natural drought, we can do something about spiritual drought though.  Jeremiah 17:7-8 reminded me this morning:
Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD.
8 He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream,
and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green,
and is not anxious in the year of drought,  for it does not cease to bear fruit.

Let's trust the Lord today...and everyday.  Let's seek His Face, listen to His voice and follow His Lead and stay away from being spiritually parched.  Worship Him Today!

No comments:

Post a Comment