Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Voting Day

Today is Election Day or at least, Primary Day.  Voting Day is always an exciting day for me.  Since that Political Science Class that I took when I was a Senior in High School, I have loved the opportunity to vote.  Reagan was president when I was in high school  (...Those were the days...).  In 1986-87 the Democrats were lining up to take the place of a Republican president.  It was a given that George Bush would run, but on the Democrat side, there were a host of possibilities.  We studied them all. That was when Biden and Gore's names became familiar to me.  Actually of the Democrats we studied, they were my favorites.  I was either mighty naive or little did the world know about them.  Anyway, I grew a love for the political process and have followed it ever since.  Thank you, Miss Brenda Benton, my wonderful high school history teacher. 
I have several friends running in this race locally, so my curiosity is definitely peaked.   I am also excited because an election is an opportunity for change.  In America we still have a voice and we can bring change everytime we go to the polls.  We can play our part in making what is wrong, right...And there is definitely a lot wrong.  That is what I thought about this morning when I read 2 Kings 21:24- But the people of the land struck down all those who had conspired against King Amon, and the people of the land made Josiah his son king in his place.  This morning I read about the horror of Manasseh as king and the continued trouble under Amon, however with Josiah came radical change.  The wrong things Manasseh had built up, Josiah tore down. It was radical change.
That is the opportunity we have every time we go to the polls.  Prayerfully do your part today. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks,Daniel. Since we're not having an election of any kind here I missed that point entirely as I read that same passage this morning! Great insight and what hope for 2012!

    ReplyDelete