Monday, August 15, 2011

The Prayer of Christ

I learned a lesson a long time ago that I lean on quite a bit as I read and study Scripture.  At the time I was in college as a religious studies major (that is, studying Bible) and my friend was going to Bible college.  The school I went to and the one he attended had different philosophies and they were different atmospheres.  Two different routes to get to the same point.  He asked me one night, "Do you know Jesus doesn't pray for lost people?"  I gave that 'Huh?' that you can give a friend when you don't know if he is goofy or if it's you  that was just ignorant or if you really want to get into that conversation.  A more polite way to ask is, "What was that?"  However, on a Friday night as a college student loafing in a living room, you say 'Huh?' or 'Do what?'  He went on and found this passage from John 17: 9- I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours.   He then explained that in John 17 He specifically states that He only prays for Christians.   
Now, I don't remember how much I knew as a junior in college.  I know how I would answer today but I don't remember what I said.  It was something like a belly laugh and then a "Dude, you are goofy?  To imply that Jesus only prayed for saved folks, says that He don't care for lost people.  What in the world is the cross about?  What are they teaching you at that school anyway?  Why don't you get a real education or why don't I just bulldog you over this couch for being such a dummy?....."  I was in college, remember.   
However, what I would say today is what I tell you. John 17 is often called the High Priestly Prayer.  It is the supreme prayer that Christ prayed for us, the Church, to be united for the cause of Christ.  Christ was burdened that we not hinder our testimony by inward conflict.  I feel sure He is still burdened about it. And, yes, this prayer was specifically for the apostles and the followers of Christ that would come after them, like us.  However, it was the lostness of Jerusalem and their lack of faith that caused him to weep over the city (Matthew 23:37).  It was Christ that encouraged us to pray for workers for the harvest (Luke 10:2).  It was also Christ who bore the Cup and went to the cross for one reason...the lost. 
As Cool Hand Luke (not the apostle) said,"What we have here is a failure to communicate..."  The great lesson that I learned that night was the importance of reading the Scripture in context.  Because a text without a context is a pretext.  It helps to know what you are reading and to get a handle on the larger picture to really understand a passage. 
Enough with the hermeneutics lesson.   Do you know what this passage is also saying?  He prays for us.  He prays for our unity.  He prays for our witness.  He prays that we will not be a hindrance.  Christ still prays for us...and you.  He LIVES to pray for you (Heb. 7:25).  With that, we ought to live for Him.  Give Him your all today!

No comments:

Post a Comment