Monday, May 28, 2012

A Day of Remembrance

I grew up in an Air Force family.  My dad served for 20 years, at least a couple of those years overseas.  The family was not able to go overseas with him.  We stayed at home--waiting and praying.  I was very young during his last overseas tour, however, my life is filled with the stories that I have heard of those days.  I am the youngest of three boys.  My mother had her hands full. 

I returned from Israel on May 4th with a mailed package waiting on me.  What I saw when I opened it, blew me away.  It was a gift from Major Thomas Howell, a presiding officer that works with the 228th Sapper National Guard group based out of our town, but now serving in Kadahar, Afghanistan.  The gift was the flag that hung over the base of the Sapper on Easter Sunday 2012.  Thomas included a note that stated that the flag hung at full mast that day.  That means no remains came through on their way home that day.  A great day in more ways than one.

Blown away by such a gift!  Blown away by such men and women who serve so faithfully.  Let's let today be a day to remember the living sacrifices serving our country as well as those who paid the ultimate sacrifice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment