Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Threshing Floor


I Chronicles 21:28- At that time, when David saw that the Lord had answered him at the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite, he sacrificed there. (www.lifejournal.cc)
In 2008 after reading the book The Divine Mentor, I started on a daily reading plan that has had a strong impact on my life.  I felt led to lead my church in a 40 day period of prayer for direction and clarity.  I wrote a small devotional book for these days and one of my central themes was 'the threshing floor.'  God had continued to point out to me time and time again the significance of prayer at the threshing floor.   The threshing floor was a raised hard surface that was prioritized for threshing out wheat.  However, I found in my Biblical studies that there was a lot more than just wheat threshed out at such a place.  God was threshing out people as well.  He 'threshed out' David in our reading today. 
One of the many sights we saw in Israel was a sacrificial area on Mount Megiddo that resembles a threshing floor.  Typically a threshing floor would be a bigger space and may have a knee-high wall, but, even with that, the point was well made when I saw it and thought of passages like we read today.

Humble yourself before God today and encourage Him to seperate the wheat from the chaff in your life.  The spiritual pounding will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment