Saturday, May 26, 2012

Firstfruits or Leftovers?

I have never planted my own garden.  I grew up with a yard that had a good size garden in it, but I haven't tried it.  Two reasons:  1) my yard has a lot of trees and little sunlight.  2) I have been blessed over the years by the fruits and vegetables of others' gardens.  When the tomatoes get plentiful, people have been gracious.  That is what I thought about this morning when I read (www.lifejournal.cc)
Proverbs 3:9-10- Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your produce;
10 then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will be bursting with wine.

I noticed years ago that when tomatoes first come in, I don't see many show up on my doorstep. However, toward the end of the season, I have received big bags of over ripe, half rotten tomatoes.  I always 'kid' folks about real love brings the firstfruits, not the leftovers when you are sick of them.   Well, for me, I am grateful for any of them (cucumbers too),  and I am afraid when I write this some may mistake my message for not being grateful.  I just cannot help but parallel this situation to our spiritual situation toward the Lord. 
Does God get your 'firstfruits', the best you have, or does he get your leftovers, whatever you really don't want?  God deserves the best we've got, right off the top.  He gave us his best in Christ, now let's give Him our best in our lives.
That is a lot more important than what is left on someone's doorstep. 
I look forward to worshiping with you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment