Monday, June 17, 2013

The Haven of the Heavenly Mind

Today we read 1 Kings 20-21, 2 Chronicles 17, and Colossians 3.

It may be true that one can be so heavenly minded he/she is no earthly good.   I guess it depends on what you mean by heavenly minded.
If you mean absent-minded from the real world, I would not consider it earth-minded.  I would consider it absent-minded.
If you mean thaat one seemingly is floating on a cloud above all the stuff of the world, that is not better either.  It is amazing how some can float above others' problems boasting in the Lord, but grow strangely silent in their own struggles.  That is not what I would consider heavenly minded.  I would think that is self-minded.
If you mean by heavenly minded that one is irresponsible about the demands of the world, I would call that not being responsibly-minded.
However, if you mean that one seeks to see what God is doing in the midst of their circumstances, seeks to shine before others in the love of Christ, and seeks to lay all their burdens at the feet of Jesus, instead of being more and more perplexed in the middle of it, I would say that is heavenly minded.  I would also say that would do this old world a lot of good.  The apostle Paul put it this way in Colossians 3.2- Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.

Although there are things today that are happening in our lives that will make that difficult, let's strive for it in all we face.  My family's struggle today is a major surgery in the life of my father-in-law.  It will be a weighty day.  At the same time, the church that God has blessed me to be able to pastor will kick off VBS this morning.  Pray with me that teachers will exhort, the Spirit will move mightily, and children will know personally the love of Jesus.   That is a weighty day...a weighty week...as well.

Let's lay it all in His Hand today and set our minds on Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment