Monday, June 27, 2011

The Calling

It was wonderful to be back in the pulpit yesterday.  God is a gracious God to give me the opportunity to serve Him in such a capacity with such a people.  Praise the Lord and Thank You Lord!

I was ordained into the ministry in 1993 shortly after S. 28th Ave. Baptist in Hattiesburg called me as their pastor.  The deacons and the pastor of my home church got me in a room and threw me softball questions about my salvation and if I believed Jesus was coming back and had physically resurrected and if I was against gays and Russians (not really but they were thinking it).   It was really a sweet affirmation time and a great time of encouragement.  Then the ordination service followed.  The church was being renovated at the time and they were meeting in the gym (that is my home church where I was ordained).  Therefore, the ordination service took place in the gym.  I was charged and challenged and then I knelt facing the congregation so that the  men could lay hands on me.  I had some new preacher shoes and did not want to crease them up, so I slipped them off (real pastorally) and knelt.  Then I guess about 50 men came by and prayed or encouraged or whispered something to me.  One fellow came by and said- I know your legs are hurting.  There is not but about 6 more so just hang in there.  That may sound unspiritual but I appreciated it because I was under the strong impression that if I peeked they would call the whole thing off.  When it was done, the pastor stood up and told me to come up.  That is when I stood...or tried to.
I was not married and I was too big for my Momma to be sitting beside me so I was down there alone.  I was trying to stand up on legs I could not feel.  They had went to sleep and I was tingling from my toes to nearly my chest.  I was trying to look holy as I tried to stand up and wipe the snot off my face at the same time.  I dearly loved those men.  They had been role models to me and had said some wonderful things.  Finally when I stood up I had one more task about me:  Get my shoes on.  Have you ever tried to stand in front of hundreds of people and put your shoes on when you cannot feel your legs, let alone your feet?  The answer is no.  I am the only one that ever has.  I picked my foot up and threw it back down on top of those new shoes.  Then on one side, then on the other.  Then I had that shoe horn moment.  It was bad but I stood there looking prayerful (''God,  please let me feel my legs again so that I don't fall down in front of these people or not be able to put my brand new preacher shoes on.")  However, when it was all said and done, I was an ordained, Southern Baptist Pastor in my first church.  Blessed be the name of the Lord!
I have loved it ever since.  Oh, there has been moments, but not very many and few and far between.  On that day I made a commitment that I take very seriously and that I was reminded of this morning in today's reading ( http://www.lifejournal.cc/bible/ )-  But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. - 2 Timothy 3:14-15   God did not call me so that the world could hear what Daniel has to say.  He called me so that I could tell the world what Jesus has to say.   It all comes back to the Word.  As my grandmother told her pastor ( and he quoted at her funeral)- Just keep telling folks Jesus still saves.  Amen! That is what God has called me to do in my capacity.  It is also what He has called you to do in your capacity.   Just share Jesus where you are and whatever you do today.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment