Friday, June 24, 2011

Your Spooned Egg

It was an honor and a joy to be a part of my grandmother's homegoing celebration.  When one lives for 96 years, has an amazing love for her Savior, and is out of pain and in His Presence, what else could it be but a celebration?  It was great to see family that I have not seen in probably 30 years.  My mother's cousins (Grandma had 9 siblings) would introduce themselves to me and I would say 'I know you.  I have played in your yard when my grandmother and mother came to see you.' I like throwing people off like that.   The one thing that always gets me about the visitation and the meal afterwards is that the person who would have enjoyed the fellowship the most is the one in the casket.  Isn't it ironic that we make time when they die, but often miss opportunities while they are alive?   Thank God, Grandma is in a better fellowship anyway.
My family is headed home today for the Uhiren-Voyles wedding and church on Sunday.  I'm pure-T excited!

When I was in elementary school, we had field day.  When I was in school there WAS winners and losers.  There are still winners and losers but now they just don't tell them in elementary school they are losers.   They have to wait until they get a little older and face the rude awakening that they are a loser.  But we knew it early in life when I was coming up.  I volunteered to help Abby's class with field day a few years ago.  It was disheartening.  I supervised a race that was not a competition.  Everyone was a winner.  Gimme a break!  But not when I was in school.  When we ran the egg in the spoon dash, we did it with all of our heart.  The top three got a ribbon that you could drap over your church basketball participant trophy in your room.  After three years of church basketball and field day wins, your bedroom was turned into a little hall of fame.  It made you eager to get more of it.   That is what I thought about this morning when I read in I Timothy 5 that we were not to pursue money, but instead the things of God.  Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. - I Timothy 5:11   So I ask, why are you running at a rapid pace balancing your egg in life?  Is it to get more and more of whatever it is in this world that you want a lot of or is it to run the spiritual race in life for the honor of the Lord and the qualities of His Spirit in your life?  Today I encourage you to do right as the Lord would.  Trust Him, love Him and let it reflect on your love for others.  Do it all day long.  And be nice to those He places in your path today. 

Oh yeah, and have a great day doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment