Saturday, June 18, 2011

God's Natural Cathedral

Well, I missed writing yesterday due to no internet service in the national park.  However, as much as I love this new venture of blogging, I am thankful that I spent the night on the South Rim.  At about 5 am I got Dawn out of bed and we walked outside to watch the sun come up over the canyon.  Another breathtaking moment.  That place is amazing.  It is grand and I understand even more now those passages that speak of creation giving praise to God.  They will lead us to praise Him.  It was magnificent. One told me that the average visit to the Grand Canyon was 4 hours.  Another said you need 3-4 days.  I don't know, but I know we wore ourselves out trying to take it in Thursday afternoon and Friday morning.  Dawn has taken hundreds of pictures (thank God they are digital. Can you imagine buying rolls of film?) and at last count about 6 hours of video on this trip. If I forget anything, we will just watch it blow by blow.
We spent the afternoon riding through Monument Valley.  The Valley and the outerskirts of the Canyon  with the deep zagged canyons running beside us were very enjoyable.  Between these areas though, we were just on a two lane road in the desert.  A late leave (due to enjoying the canyon too long that morning) makes for a long day.  We were not able to see Mesa Verde Park.  We had planned to but we got there 30 minutes before they closed and I could not convince the ranger to let me ride through one time without paying the $15 fee.  After paying the navajos $9 to see the Four Corners for 10 minutes, I had paid my fee for the day.
Today we will leave Durango, a beautiful ski resort town in the valley  in southwest Colorado, to travel the Million Dollar Highway, a cliffhanging 2 lane road that gives remarkable views, and will end the day (hopefully) in Colorado Springs.  I have expected Colorado to be beautiful and so far we are not disappointed.

Don't you just love the boldness of Micaiah in today's passage in I Kings 22.  They tried to get him to appease the king instead of speaking a word from God and he replied- As the Lord lives, what the Lord says to me, that I will speak.  And then when he proclaimed that the king would not make it in battle, he said- If you return in peace, the Lord has not spoken to me.  Isn't it refreshing to hear someone speak boldly for the Lord.  In a day of compromise, we must not compromise.  We must get a Word from God for our life and stand boldly on it without reservation.  May God be praised in all of our lives today as we boldly stand upon His Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment