Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Weathering the Storm

I have never been an Ohio State fan. I have been a Michigan man.  One of my bucket list items is to go to a good ballgame and sit in a good seat at "The Big House" in Ann Arbor and root on the "Big Blue."  My fever for the Wolverines comes back to a time when Dad got two tickets to see Michigan play South Carolina.  We drove to Columbia to see the game.  Before the game we were walking around the outside of the stadium and a bus pulled up.  BIG BLUE got off the bus.  That is... the biggest of the Big Blue.  While we were standing there, the Offensive line got off the bus.  At that time the offensive line for Michigan had an average weight that was larger than any NFL team did.  They averaged about 320 and were anchored by legendary tackle Jumbo Elliott, who went on to have many successful years in the NFL.  They had to come through the bus door sideways to get in.  I was overwhelmed.  We sat about as high as you can sit in Williams-Brice and even from up there you could see South Carolina get whipped horribly.  Like a bully that hits you in the nose first thing and won't let up, Michigan dragged SC up and down the field in a horrible fashion.  I am a fan of many schools.  Michigan is among my top five.  Their archenemy is Ohio State and most of the time OSU beats them painfully on nationwide television.  I am not nor have ever been an Ohio State fan. 
I am, however, a Jim Tressel fan.  I found out a couple of years ago that he is a dedicated Christian and stands strong for the Lord . Therefore my heart grieves about what is happening in the mainstream media these days. 
Due to a visit with my in-laws over Memorial Day, I have watched more tv than I normally do.  ESPN has spent the last few days having commentators berate Tressel.  The tearing down is not so much about what went on under his watch or the role he played in sneaky stuff.  The biggest criticism is that he proclaimed to be a man of God.   Some called him a horrible hypocrite.  Some said he compartmentalized his life and seperated his faith from his recruiting tactics.  It has been horrible.  SI's article is pretty bad apparently.  I wanted to get, my friend and "everything FCA", Ken Smith's thoughts on it in a quick text and he put it well:  The cost of boldness. 
Due to Tressel's strong faith, he is taking a bigger beating than so many others who have done so much more.  What I have not heard is Tressel's response.  However, he ended his resignation letter with "We know that God has a plan for us and we will be fine...." That reminds me of a passage I read this morning: Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.  - Prov. 19:21
I am curious to hear Tressel's response when the dust settles.  I am interested in seeing the Wolverines beat OSU when the infractions come.  However, I am more interested to see how God will get the praise in the midst of this storm.  Attacks on college football are common and a very popular topic right now.  However, be careful to notice how the conversation this time converts from football strategies to an attack on the Body of Christ.   It would not be a big deal if he knelt 3 times a day in a mosque or thought we could heal ourselves by being one with nature or even went to Mass every chance he got, however, he took a stand for Christ.  He was known for Bible Studies with other coaches.  Therefore the attack is on his stand for Christ. 
But don't you worry... the ole Ship of Zion will keep on sailing.  We've weathered storms before.  We will weather them again until one day when the sky clears and the trumpet sounds....

1 comment:

  1. I think Jim is like every sinner... saved by grace and not perfect... but we need to not make any person greater than the savior... even if he is a great coach...

    ReplyDelete