Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day, Pop!

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.- Colossians 3.23-24
As I read this morning, I read with my dad in mind.  No, not as I read about the mean exploits of Ahab.  Nor, is my mother Jezebel.  Instead,  I was only seeking a passage that I could use to reflect my father.  He definitely did not exasperate me, but, instead, has always been an encouragment to me.  As I think of him this morning, I think of his service. 

My dad went into the Air Force at 18 and served his country for 20 years.  I got in on the last seven and what I remember was blessed...except for the bike wreck...and the bike theft...neither of which my dad was responsible for...lest I regress. I did literally walk to school some days with snow almost as high as my head as we lived about 20 minutes from Canada.  My demented brothers walked with me harassing me all the way.  I said what I remember was blessed...lest I regress again.  I did not know much at that age, but I knew my dad served my country.  I had a military ID to prove it. 

However, honestly, that is not the service I think of.   My dad has always served his family.  My dad can fix anything.  As a matter of fact, we always complained that we did not get anything new because dad would always fix the old. I wish I would have watched and learned something.  Even today when something sounds funny on my car or looks goofy at the house, I call him and he talks me through what it might be.  Can you imagine?- Hey Dad, I got this thing hanging down off the pointed part of the house and it is making a clacking noise.  I don't think it has a motor.  It might just be the wind but it is coming like from inside out out of the house and then back in.... Now you may not understand that, but when my dad reads that, he'll know what it is and can tell me how to fix it with duct tape or a socket wrench.   That is my dad.  Not ony could he fix, but my dad taught me that if a job needs to be done at the house, do it.  Wash clothes, dishes, iron, whatever needs to be done.  Do it.  On his example, I try to do my part.  He made great sacrifices to put me through school.  I understand that better the older I get. (And those with college kids tell me I will understand it better by and by....) Beyond all that, he is my dad.  We played ball together, now we watch it together, as we have the opportunity.  The ol' apple did not fall far from the tree.  We like much of the same things and understand each other pretty well.  Over fifty years ago, he took on being a dad to me and my older brothers and he has SERVED faithfully at it ever since.

However, what stands out to me the most as I read the passage quoted above on this Father's Day morning is my dad's service to the Lord.  Dad loves the Lord.  He has leaned on Him and been a leader for Him as long as he has been my dad.  I did not have a choice about church.  We went and I loved it.  The Word is an early morning tool for my dad and it shows.  He is quick to serve others, visit others, teach others, and help lead his church.  His pastor loves him dearly and he loves his pastor.  He serves the Lord heartily.  He serves others heartily....including me... That is why I thank God today with tears in my eyes for my dad.

I love you, Pop!  Thank God for you.  Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment