Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Jar, the Jug, and Two Special Ladies

The jar of flour was not spent, neither did the jug of oil become empty, according to the word of the Lord that he spoke by Elijah.- 1 Kings 17.16 This story means a lot to me because when I picture this woman, I think of two special ladies that loved the Lord, depended on the Lord, and are with the Lord. My Grandma Caton went to be with the Lord not long ago after living almost a century. She loved Jesus. She was quick to tell you, show you, and quote Scripture about why she loved Him. Anytime I went to her home, there was always a well worn Bible at her eating spot at the table. It was not ornamental. It was read every morning with coffee, toast, a cut of cheese, and the presence of the Holy Spirit. She never had much, but her flour was never spent, and she would tell you why: God provides. We are in Hattiesburg today with my in-laws and are on our way to New Orleans for the Southern Baptist Convention. Yesterday the girls found some old pictures. It means a lot to them because Dawn's father is a shell of the man that he was when Abby (age 12)was Millie's age (5). She often tells Millie, 'I wish you would have known before he got sick.' Another picture was found and Millie brought it to me and asked- who is she? It was who she is named after- Grandma Millie. Grandma Millie was Dawn's grandmother and what a doll she was. She made her coffee wwwaaaaaayyyy too strong and would laugh at you when you drank it. She would stand too close to the gas insert and burn the back of her dress. She was very slow. The legs were practically gone when I met her. She hardly got around. If we were loading her up to take her somewhere, I would get her laughing and it took twice as long. She once (in her latter years) took her cane and attempted to run it up between the legs of her brother as he walked down the aisle at church. To her shock when he turned around it was not her brother, but her preacher! She was great and great fun! She also dearly loved the Lord, her church, and her pastor. She did not have much but her jug of oil was never empty. God provides. This story also is special to me because my jug or jar has never ran out. I lean on the Lord for guidance, sustenance, and my every need, and I acknowledge my dependence upon Him and my gratitude to Him by giving Him back to Him the portion that is only right for a believer. God will not let you down. He will provide. He's fairer than lilies of rarest bloom; He's sweeter than honey from out the comb; He's all my hungering spirit needs; I'd rather have Jesus and let Him lead.... Let Him lead today and rest in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment