Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Worst Kind of Famine

Today is a special day in Houston: the day for Houston Homecoming. The court square will be filled with folks, good food, good music, and fireworks. We love it each and every year and hate to miss it. I always wonder- are we going to burn up today out there? Well, Houston, I think you might today. Get your water handy. Listen to Amos today- Amos 8.11-12- 11 “Behold, the days are coming,” declares the Lord God,     “when I will send a famine on the land— not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord. 12  They shall wander from sea to sea, and from north to east; they shall run to and fro, to seek the word of the Lord,      but they shall not find it. I recently heard from some friends that went to the less evangelized end of the Dominican Republic. They went to see if an ongoing work could be established there. They rode to a school to see if they could minister there in the future. When they arrived, the principal was standing in the yard and she began to cry. When they got out and began to talk to her she said, "Years ago. My pastor had a vision for a ministry here. I caught that vision and came and have been praying that someone would come to lead these people to Jesus. When I saw the white men in the cab, I knew God had answered my prayer. I have two prayers: 1) I pray we can go back and minister to her people. 2) I pray that America never gets so starved for the Gospel. The Gospel is shared less and less in our days now. Let's keep setting the table with the message of God's Word so our neighbors will not starve. We've a story to tell to the nations...and to our neighbor...even today.

No comments:

Post a Comment