Thursday, June 21, 2012

Where It's At

Well, the Convention ended early yesterday evening with the North American Mission Board's presentation.  Earlier in the day, the highlight had been the resolutions committtee presentation.  There was a particular resolution concerning the 'sinners prayer' that made for a lot of debate. Some believe it is too shallow and too simple to come to Christ through a repeated prayer.  Instead, there needs to be more emphasis upon repentance.  The resolution was to affirm that a prayer, not a mere recantation but a real surrendering and committing prayer, is how you come to Christ.  After all the debate, it passed.  The resolution states that after a truly committing prayer is prayed, one is saved.

Yesterday afternoon we attended the New Orleans Seminary alumni and friends luncheon on the seminary campus.  After a BBQ meal on the grounds, there was a wonderful worship service in the chapel.  It recognized the distinguished alumni of the year and ask us to give to help the rebuilding process (after Katrina) continue.  The campus was beautiful and it is amazing the progress that has been made.  Once again my heart was stirred as we sang It is Well With My Soul.   As the organ roared and the trumpet played and we sang, I flashed back to 1992 when I came on that campus following the Lord's Will with fear and trembling.  I thought about the path that He has led me on the last twenty years, his wonderful faithfulness, and his willingness to use me, and I could not sing.  I just closed my teary eyes and thankfully listened to the strong men's choir and the congregation in that beautiful chapel.  One more great experience this year.

However, let me know tell you where it was really at.  This year was the first year Abby could be a part of the youth activities at the convention.  Instead of a Centrifuge type event, as in the past, they did missions events with the youth.  On Tuesday she prayer walked two miles across the city to a homeless shelter.  Once there, she cleaned the bathroom.    On Wednesday they went to New Orleans Seminary campus as well and ministered to some children in an on-campus day care.  She said she made popcorn and handed it out to the children.  She was so excited to share the details.  She also told me about walking up to a man on the streets and asking him if he knew her best friend, Jesus.  She then shared how he could be saved.  It was a great Tuesday and Wednesday for Abby.  She will understand that even more in years to come.

This morning as I read the qualifications of overseers (pastors) and deacons, I was reminded of a phrase that we need to hang on to today in I Timothy 3.9- They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience.   That is what we are to do!  We live by faith on the mystery of the Gospel and we serve the Lord and live for the Lord so faithfully that we can do it with a clear conscience.  
That, my friend, is Where It's At!  Have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment