Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Overused but Seldom Shown

The dear frustrated wife looked at her husband and asked, "Honey, why don't you ever say, 'I love you' to me anymore?"
He glanced over at her and answered, "Baby, I told you I loved you when I married you and if I ever change my mind, I'll let you know."
Pretty sad, huh?  I would say.  Ol' boy needs to be taken behind the woodshed.  However, more often, the word love is overused.
I would go as far as to say that love may be the most misunderstood and overused term in the American language.  We are quick to talk about it and we often use the word in a very generic and general way.  However, you do not see that kind of use of the word, love, in the Bible.  The love that Christ proclaims is quite clear.   
I John 3.18 makes it clear-  Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.
When we love, it is not about merely saying it, it is about showing.  It's about showing it to those who are closest to us as well as those that God puts in our path unexpectedly.
Love today.  Don't just say it...and make sure you say it, but also show it in what you say and what you believe in.
Have a great...and loving...day!

No comments:

Post a Comment