Saturday, July 16, 2011

Angels?

I was pastoring my first church.  The senior adult ladies had a meal once a  month, a potluck lunch, that they enjoyed very much.  I was a seminary student for the majority of that time so I could not attend the lunches.  However, either one summer or when I had graduated, the teacher of the eldest ladies SS class came to me and said, "I want you to come and speak to us at our lunch and I want you to speak on angels." I said, "OK", not knowing that I needed wading boots to wander into their ecclesiastical disruptions.  She then followed it up by saying, "Some of those ladies wear them pins and think they are good luck.  One of them forgot theirs and was afraid to stay.  She thought she better go home and get it."  Then I knew what I was getting into.  You see, it was very popular then to wear little gold angel lapel pins.   The teacher of the class was a very no non-sense kind of person, who knew her Bible, just had never informed her face, and she was not going to tolerate the superstitions of her more shallow classmates, therefore 'sic' the preacher on them.'  It would seem that I was too green to know the difference, however, the Holy Spirit said, "Hey, don't wade down into that!" and I appreciate His leadership.  I studied a couple of topical studies on Angels and developed an outline without going too deep into the pluses and minuses of wearing angel decor on your lapel as a Christian good luck charm.  At the same time, because I have never been properly quoted, let me also say there is nothing wrong with wearing an angel lapel pin.  Just don't use it as a good luck charm or as a testimony. 
What we have conjured up about angels is quite different than what the Bible says about them.  There is no 'naked baby with wings' angels in the Bible.  They are in the form of adult males, some with wings and some not.  We don't become angels when we die.  Therefore the little email poems that talk about God needed another angel or 'she'll be a beautiful rose in the garden of the Lord' is just that: sappy email poems.   We will not be angels or flowers, we will be souls worshiping around the throne of God.
However, Heb. 13:2, tells us that angels are not as we expect them to be. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.   The homeless that I have helped on the street- you don't see them on lapel pins.   Nor do you see the little couple that came by a couple of years ago and asked for gas money as they travel around the country giving out tracts at campgrounds.  I walked to the gas station and filled up their tank.  He handed me two tracts and prayed for me.  That was a change!
As the little overstuffed, worn out, Suzuki jeep rode off, I thought- Could it be...nah, surely not...not at least that I am aware of....Be nice out there today.  You just don't know....

No comments:

Post a Comment