Thursday, July 14, 2011

Not Knowing Where I'm Going

I have become GPS dumb!  I grew up under the tutelage of my father to read a map, abide by it, and don't wander far from it.  Don't worry about asking for directions.  Know where you are going.  I only remember him asking one or two times.  I'm with him.  I don't ask either.  Plus, there are two laws to asking for direction- rules that cannot be broken: 1) You always ask someone who doesn't know.  I wonder sometimes how some people get home everyday. OR 2) They do know but only in local terms.  "Go down der & turn when you see that tree in Big Mac's pasture..."  And I must say I get around pretty good.  I got iron in my nose.  I understand that iron in your nose helps your sense of direction. ( I wonder what the lead in my....just forget that.)  However now there is also the GPS factor.  Now we just type in an address and trust a machine running off satellites and developed by computer whizs in India to tell us how to get to anywhere in the US that we have never been.  What a thought!  However, I went to Phoenix and came back the long way leaning totally on a cellphone google map and a Garmin GPS and made it back without any wrong turns.  Or at least, without a map, I never was aware that I made a wrong turn.  I was heartbroken when I got 100 miles down the road on that trip and realized that I had left my big red atlas at the house .  However, we made it through when we did not even know where we were going.   And that is the problem with a GPS.  If you rely on it, it will get you there, but you still don't know where you are going.  I had never been to Memphis until 4 years ago when I moved to Mississippi.  I have never drove to Memphis without my GPS.  I cannot find a thing in Memphis without it. I have no idea where I have been.  However, I have always got there in the time it was supposed to take.  I am GPS dumb!  I get where I need to go when I need to be there but I have no idea where I am going or how to get there.  What a day in which we live!

It sounds like Abraham to me. ( http://www.lifejournal.cc/bible/ )  No, Abraham did not have a GPS.  He had the Lord. Heb. 11:8- By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance.  And he went out, not knowing where he was going.  Abraham knew that God told him to go and he went, yet he did not even know where he was headed.  I cannot help but think that some people trust their GPS more than they do the Lord.   The truth of the matter is that if we would trust God to lead us on our path in life as much as we do a GPS to lead us on the roads we travel, our life would be much smoother.  Think about it.  Not only does He have a plan for you, but He will prepare you for it, lead you to it and through it and provide your every need along the way.  Start this day handing the wheel of your life over to the Lord. 

Guide me, God!  Only you know where we are headed.  Happy travels today, my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment