Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Mirror

My hair has not changed much over the years.  I grew up parting it to the side.  About ten years ago I went to a 50's party and slicked it back.  I got home and my wife told me to wear it like that.   I have ever since.  However once every two years I leave the house without fixing my hair.  I go to work, get my coffee, talk to everyone (who looks at me kinda goofy), go to the computer, get up to the go to the bathroom and BOOM! I realize I am unkept. I scoot out and fix it and come back.  I guess the mirror was fogged.  I guess I was in a hurry.  I broke pattern in some way.  Not a big deal but it feels to me like I have been standing there talking to an office full of people with my zipper down.  It's just not me, I guess.

Do you know what is worse than missing the mirror?  Missing the Word in the morning.  You need it as much as you do your mirror (and you need your mirror, although Walmart shoppers give us great evidence that there is a lack of mirror reflection in our society today).   The Word is like a mirror, in that, through the power and introspection of the Holy Spirit we see ourselves and our spiritual needs.  The Word is like a sword, it cuts through and gets to the heart of the matter.  You see yourself exposed when you seriously and methodically read the Word with full attention. 
Do you know what is almost just as bad?  Forgetting what you read and not living it out on the day in which you read it.  I believe God has a customized message for you everyday through his Word.  To forget that and to not forge your life around is about as bad as...well, James puts it this way- For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror.  For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like.  But the one who looks into the perfect law...a doer who acts, he will blessed in his doing.- James 1:23-25
So start your day with the mirror of His Word and don't forget or neglect what you view......Don't forget the other mirror either please.  Have a great Sunday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment