Monday, July 11, 2011

Teaching Your Neighbor

I just went to the church to pray for the youth as they set out for summer camp week.  I began to reflect on the many journeys I took with the church when I was their ages.  One that stands out was when we did a VBS at a church in St. Louis.  It was an inner city church in a multi-story building.  A make shift sanctuary was on one floor, SS classes on another, a fellowship hall on another.  It was in an impoverished area and was an impoverished church.  It literally sat in the shadow of the Budweiser factory and I was told that the factory was so immaculate you could eat off the floors.  The paradox, the symbolism, the tragedy...the immaculate beer factory among the poor, dirty poverty.  How many folks' lives had been devastated, almost cursed from birth by the influence of alcohol in their families?  Now when I say 'cursed from birth' we all are cursed from birth until Jesus comes to us and changes us for all eternity.  And that message was what we went to St. Louis to share.  I remember going door to door inviting folks to VBS, sharing Christ as the doors open.  The reality is such trips help me develop in sharing my faith with others. 
 http://www.lifejournal.cc/bible/
Our passage today says that there will come a day when we won't need to share.  Hebrews 8:11- And they shall not teach, each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest.     That day is not here yet, so let's do all we can, with everyone we can, every opportunity we have:  let's share Jesus.  Let's encourage folks to 'Know the Lord' whether at their door, in their path, or along our way.  Let's share Jesus until Jesus comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment