Tuesday, January 24, 2012

By and By

The older I get, the smarter my parents get.  I am so proud of them.  They did not know much when I was a preteen.  It is not that they did not try, they were just so old.  When I was a teenager, they went from bad to worst.   They seemed clueless.  Oh, if  they had only listened.  When I was in college, they tried but they just did not understand the times and situations in which I faced.  However, there was something about that empty nest that did them good.  They became brilliant and wise, almost overnight.  The more independent I got, the more they knew.  EUREKA! and I don't mean the vacuum.  However, something else happened when I got "out on my own" (whatever that means!).  Their words, guidance, and direction from years earlier appeared wiser.  It was as if there had been some miscommunication along the way...as if it was not their mistake after all...as if it was lost in translation...as if I spoken some goofy foreign language for about a dozen years of my life...an unknown tongue not of the Spirit.   I guess hindsight is not really 20/20 but time gives us corrective lenses. In other words (for the slow ones in the group), it was me that was the dumb preteen, the arrogant teen, the know-it-all college student, and it was my parents who had seen it all before.  Too bad my light did not come on earlier. 
When we read of the resurrected Christ, we see the light come on.  It was not that He had not prepared them, told them, and tried to show them what was going to come.  It was that they just did not get it until they saw His Face...His Resurrected Face.  Now notice what happens (www.lifejournal.cc)-
Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, 46 and He said to them, Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.--Luke 24:45-47  You can almost sense the light coming on, can't you?  There was much about what Christ said to His followers and to His disciples that they just did not understand in the midst of their training.   Afterwards though.   After going to the cross and seeing Him die....the tomb and seeing it sealed...going to the Upper Room and locking that door and waiting...and after watching Him walk through it.   The light came on. 
For whatever you do not understand about the Work of God in this world, save your time.  Don't make a list of questions to ask Him in eternity.  I believe when you see Him face to face all the lights will come on.  I believe your mind will be opened...and your eternity changed and your questions won't matter near as much.  They will even appear naive and silly. 
Until that day, let's trust Him completely.  I'm convinced we will understand it better by and by.

No comments:

Post a Comment