Wednesday, January 11, 2012

On the Inside

Not long after I moved to Mississippi, I was invited to speak at a regional minister's conference and I preached on today's passage in Luke 11 (www.lifejournal.cc).   At first preachers like when you preach and you 'tear off' on folks.  When you preach like a gnawling dog, some people are going to love it.  However, there are others who get offended and cut you off.  (If you preach love and grace, some will get mad because that is not always just...and on and on.)  It sure is fun to watch the crowd turn though.  First I began talking about how Jesus put the chief priests and elders in their place.  Amen!  Then I began to remind them how He did.  For instance, Luke 11:39- And the Lord said to him, “Now you Pharisees cleanse the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness.   I began to tell them how trying to look like a preacher was not enough.  You had to live a life that was dedicated to Him, even when they were not looking.  (The enthusiasm began to die.)  Then in verse 43- Woe to you Pharisees! For you love the best seat in the synagogues and greetings in the marketplaces.  I explained the passage as speaking against the promonading that preachers like to do in front of their congregation and in front of peers. I talked about the back slapping among some and the neglect of others.  I talked about loving titles, positions, and recognition.  By the time I got finished, I think I made the whole group mad.  I am not the only one though.  Jesus made the Sanhedrin made when He said what He said.
The whole matter (the preaching session and Luke 11) remind me of Amos 1.  Amos is speaking to Israel and he begins by speaking against their neighbors.  He speaks of how wicked the neighbors are.  He goes through several people groups bashing each one.  I can just hear the "Amens" resounding  throughout the congregation.  Then he speaks against Israel herself and the tide turns.   I entitled that sermon, "When the Amens Stop." 
It is easy for us to look at what others do and appear to be and make comments and judgements.  The focus that Christ points us to is not about our evaluation of others or what we look like and act like it.  Christ tells us to deal with who "we" really "are."  If we get ourselves right on the inside, it will take care of the outside.  It will also not leave time for us to be sizing up others. 
Let's work on the inside today!

No comments:

Post a Comment