Sunday, January 1, 2012

Starting the New Year Right!

Happy New Year!
I hope you are having a happy one!  I am taking an unusually slow Sunday morning because today we have one worship hour only at 11 AM.  It is nice to take the time after a lot of hectic traveling, going, and doing.  Last night we got in from SC at about 5 PM.  We joined one gathering at about 6, moved on to another at about 7, and checked in on another at about 9, and then got home a  little after 11.  We got settled in to watch the ball drop and missed it.  We turned it to Dick Clark's show and at 12:03 Abby came to our room and said I put her TV on the wrong channel and she missed the ball.  I saw no Dick Clark and no ball drop.  I still don't know what happened.  I feel older and the year just started. 
Oh well, but I sure enjoyed the Word this morning.  (www.lifejournal.cc).  I want to encourage to start out this new year spending daily time in the Word.  The link (www.lifejournal.cc) will give you the schedule that I read.  I also have it available in bookmark form.  Bookmarks for an abbreviated version but dealing with the same passages is also available.  Just let me know.  FBC Houston is dedicated to helping you be dedicated to be in the Word.  I believe it makes a world of difference.   I write a blog practically everyday  concerning the Scripture that I read.  Join me on the journey and email me at drheeringa@bellsouth.net and let me know your thoughts.  I know there are people reading  (I read the stats)  but I would love to hear from you from time to time.
I am going to start the year off cheating.  I try to pick one passage each day but I am going to pick two today.  The first is in Genesis 2:3- So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation.   The only thing I want to say about that passage is begin the new year committing yourself to giving Sunday (the New Testament day of celebrating the Sabbath that we have in Christ) to the Lord.  Give Him the whole day!  Worship with peers in Sunday School.  Worship corporately in worship.  Don't miss Sunday night.  I bet you will find like most do that if you will come Sunday night, you will like it better than Sunday morning.   The fellowship is sweeter.  Everyone is not so drawn up like on Sunday morning.  Try it in 2012 (start next week though-no PM tonight). 
The second passage is Luke 1:38- And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.”  We have studied the events of Christmas a lot in recent days but let's look at it one more time to see how it relates to us.  Mary was given a huge task by God and she simply obeyed.  She wanted His Will done.  Whatever tasks God gives us this year, let us be ready to simply obey Him. Let my one desire be to have His Will done.  May your one desire be to have His Will done. 
We don't know what 2012 holds, but we know who holds 2012.  Let's spend time with Him daily and seek to please His Will everyday.  That is a great way to start the New Year!  Have a blessed day and a blessed year!

No comments:

Post a Comment