Friday, January 6, 2012

Whatta Wadi!

I have previously owned a house with a basement.  It was a wonderful thing.  It was unfinished when I moved there and I soon had dreams of a secondary study.  When we built at church and I got a new study, I turned my dreams to a 'man cave.'  I had great illusions of sports memorabilia  all over the team color, painted walls, a big TV (before flat screens), and all kinds of other things....then the rains came.  A hurricane brushed the coast of Carolina and it came inland as a storm.  By the time it reached us it was a depression...my depression.  A small crack on the base of the wall and a lot of water behind it led to Heeringa Stream running through my basement.  The good news: whoever built that house expected it.  I found out the floor was sloped toward the back door. The bad news: not perfectly.   After that, once every three years the wadi would come back.  The man cave never came.  Now the water never caused a lot of damage, just a few long nights.  I learned to buy plastic tubs for storage instead of cardboard boxes or to get cardboard a half-inch off the ground.  (Before someone tells me, I do know there are pseudo-solutions to such a problem.  I did not trust such solutions efficiently enough to pay the money for them.  I did buy a wet/dry vacuum.) 
The problem was the foundation.  All was not well at the foundation, therefore when the storms came, there was trouble.  That is true in our spiritual lives as well.  We need a strong foundation in the Lord to spiritually endure whatever may come.  That foundation is laid with a commitment to Christ and is strengthened by a daily walk with Him.  That is why I encourage all that I know to spend time with Him daily in the Word.  We don't know what this day holds, but we know who holds it, so let's hear from Him before we approach it!  If not, the storms could get ugly.  Christ said it this way in Luke 6:49- But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.  (www.lifejournal.cc)  Build upon the Rock and rest in your foundation today!  Do more than survive...thrive....and have a great day in the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment