Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Lead in the Dark

Years ago I went to a Haunted Trail at Halloween.  It was a fund raiser for a local fire department and the trail was filled with stuff hanging from trees, chainsaws without chains, and overzealous post-teens in $20 masks.  The final stage of the tour was a death tunnel or something that was a maze of walls with narrow corridors, mattresses to walk on, and goblings hiding in holes here and there.  It was pitch black dark and hot.  I think I was leading Dawn's 8 year old cousin through it. I don't remember that part. I just remember when I got in that tunnel some pre-teen girl grabbed the back of my shirt (untucking as she did) and was leading herself along by pulling on my shirt.  When a big boy gets hot, lost, and untucked, things begin to spiral downward in the tunnel of death.  I got about halfway to my destination (I guess to death) and a monster popped out and screamed at me.  I said, "Hey Pal, how do you get out of here?" He said in his spooky voice, "There is no way out!!"  I grabbed him by the collar, pulled him in tight, and said, "You don't understand.  I'm getting out of here or the tunnel of death is coming down." I was determined that I could play the part of the man with a legion of demons and tear through the walls.  He stopped pointing his flashlight at his Wal-mart mask and pointed it down some corridor and said, "Down there, sir!"  I said, "Thank you, mad man!" I was free, a little cooler, and away from that scared youngun.   I tucked my shirt in, told everybody how grand it was, and went back home. 
There is nothing like a lead in the dark.  Can you imagine being led as the Hebrews were lead?  (www.lifejournal.cc) And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead them along the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, that they might travel by day and by night. 22 The pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night did not depart from before the people. - Exodus 13:21-22  I would love to see how this took place.  It has always amazed me and I don't think Hollywood could ever get close to showing such imagery.  What a blessing the lead of the Lord is through the dark deserts of our lives!
He will not do it through a fire by night for you but God will lead you through whatever you are facing.   Through the Holy Spirit, He often does through a still, small voice.  Listen, follow, and let Him lead you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment