Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Lap Full

It is often amazing how some will take a passage of Scripture and completely butcher it, take it out of its context, and then use it with authority.   Context is so very important. Context includes the setting of the passage, the verses around a particular verse, and the audience and purpose in which it is given.
For instance, I have often heard people say that we are not to judge.  Many times when someone says that it means we are not to determine what is right or wrong in someone else's life.  Although I do believe we need to tread lightly when we start pointing fingers, sin is still sin and you ought to be able to recognize it when it comes before you.  The thought that we are not to judge comes from 
Luke 6.37-38- "Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; 38 give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.” (www.lifejournal.cc)

The key to the passage is what I put in bold.  It means we ought to treat others as we would like to be treated.  If you don't like to be corrected, don't correct others, because it will come back to you.
Instead of focusing on the faults, we are better off focusing on forgiving and giving.  Sin is still sin, however,  and we need to be able to recognize it.  Let's be just as quick to forgive it when repentance comes. 

I don't know about you, but I want good things overflowing in my lap.  I hope you get a lapful of good today and I hope I get to worship with YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment