Friday, September 14, 2012

Understanding Angels

When I first became a pastor, angel lapel pins were very trendy.  I never cared for them, but several senior ladies in my church wore them a lot.  One day their Sunday School teacher came to me and asked me to come to their luncheon and speak.  She wanted me to speak on angels.  This is how she stated my invitation:  Several of these ladies are wearing these angel pins and when they forget it, they get worried about their safety.  That is superstitious.  I want you to come and tell them different.
Well, I agreed with her but I know how to smell a setup. That is a no-win deal.   Instead I studied angels, which I knew little about it at that point, and then taught the role of angels and the 'do's and don'ts' of angels.  I did talk about the innocence of decorative pins and the importance of not trusting in anything but the Lord.  Angels by definition and by translation of the actual word are messengers.  Angels are simply messengers of the Lord.   What they do, they have been instructed and empowered to do by the Lord.  He gets the credit not the angels.  John found that out in Revelation 19.10- Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said to me, “You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God.”

Don't worship angels.  Don't put your trust in angels.  Worship the Lord and put your trust in Him...Today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment