Monday, December 31, 2012

The End and the Beginning

I have been blessed to spend the last days of this year with my parents and seeing old friends in our time in South Carolina. Yesterday was delightful.  I got to preach at my home church, eat Sunday lunch at Momma's, last night hear a dear friend preach, and then share a meal together.  A true red letter day.  Tonight we plan to cheer on the Clemson Tigers with friends who are fans and that we are fans of.  It would be worth a host of fireworks if Clemson could  upset LSU.

I do not intend to make any grand illusions.  This Christmas has been tough.  The matriarch that led half of our family Christmas celebrations is celebrating in heaven. She left us too quickly and we have been dazed in these surreal days.  I have often said at funerals, as I have witnessed in the lives of others, that after the food, funeral, and friends are gone,the real difficulty begins.  I have seldom spoke truer words.  Never felt it more so than the last month. We are happy for her, but sad for us.

We have been blessed in 2012.  Our children have thrived. A good year for both.  We have been challenged in 2012.  Dawn's pain and surgery the first half of year and the struggle of cancer and death of her mother the second half dominated our year.  The highlights of videos and the shine of trophies will remind us of our 2012 highlights. The limps of the struggles have left their mark as well. The Lord gives and The Lord takes away, blessed be the Name of the Lord.

So how do we end a year? I will tell you how I do.  I look forward to the first quarter of the year in the Gospels and the second quarter in the Proverbs and the entire year on my knees in prayer. My goals for 2013 is to walk more, pray more, and love more than I ever have.  I feel inadequate in each. I will not do it alone.  I have a Victor that walks with me. That is why I theme the coming year like this- 2013- It is All About The Walk.
My early morning question to you is 'Will you join me?'
Not on my morning walks.  I do those alone.
Not in my prayer- most of those are just me and God.
Will you join me, though, in the 'journey' to do more for Him and more for 'them' than we ever have?  I hope you will.

It may help you and encourage you to know how it will end.  It sure encouraged me this morning when I read the ending.  Just get a taste of it from Revelation 22. 3-5- No longer will there be anything accursed, but the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him. They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever.

Let's begin celebrating His Reign now, by allowing Him to reign in our lives and to walk in His Reign.  
2013- It is  all about the Walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment