Thursday, September 26, 2013

Demands and Rest

Today we read Ezra 4, Psalms 113 & 127, and Luke 9.

When my mother was just a little younger than I am now, she was going through the agony of watching her father die.  His heart was giving out after a couple of heart attacks.  She was spending long hours at the hospital with the hopeless feelings that come when a loved one is slowly leaving this world.  Beyond that, she was still trying to balance a job and a family with three boys. She has told me several times since, that one night as she came home after long hours at the hospital, that her 8 year old son (me) had left the following passage by her bedside for her:
Psalm 127.2- It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil;
    for he gives to his beloved sleep.

I am thankful that I am not going through the agony that she did during those days.  I am, however, the balancer of a ministry, a family, and all the stuff that comes with it.  I am up early and sometimes it is late before I rest.  Anxiety does creep in as well. As I read this passage this morning, I could not help but think about the daily need in my life to lean upon the Lord with all my demands and to find my rest in Him. 

I hope you can as well.  Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment