Monday, November 14, 2011

The Bottom Line

I guess in some ways I am just a bottom line dude.  When buying a car, for instance, I just want to get to the bottom line.  There is a process in which most dealers want to send you through, in order to sell you the way they want you sold.  It is better when they don't try that with me.  First they want to approach you on the lot and let you settle on one car.  If you say, "I just want to drive one of your new trucks."  That is not quite good enough.  Which one do you want?  Let's settle on that one.  Then they want to take you for a test drive. Insurance 'requires' that they drive it off the lot and continue to drive it to a halfway point.  Then when you get out, you take a walkaround the car and the salesman points out different features on the car.  When you get back, they write up all your personal info and then go to get a price.  This will include any trade-in evaluation which can get lengthy.  However, even if it don't get lengthy, plan on it being lengthy.  I sold cars for a Ford dealership one summer and found out that people fill more obligated if they take a lot of time during the sales process.  Based upon that, they will leave you in that cubicle for too long, hoping to further obligate you.  If you want to shake up the joint, get up out of that little box and walk around.  It makes them nervous.    Usually, they take the trade-in info and the possible car sale info to the big desk in the middle and they have a 'grown up' conversation that you cannot be a part of.   That is unless what they come up with is not what you like, then I go straight to the booth.  If not, you can negotiate for hours, further obligating you psychologically.   Now that may not be the way they train people now, but that is the way they did twenty years ago. 
Smoothest sale I have ever been a part of it:  I was driving at the time a Ford Explorer that I had bought slightly used from a dealer.  The sales manager, a good friend, had previously owned the Explorer.  We needed a van and when I saw what I liked, I called him and said, "What would be the difference on the swap?"   The van sat on a different dealership lot but was owned by the same people.  He made one call and called me back.  I told him the mileage on the Explorer and he knew what kind of shape to expect it in.  He gave me the price of the difference on the phone.  I went and picked him up and we went and got the van.  After I drove it all weekend, we decided to get it, and i felt like I won but he probably knew that he did.  It was a smooth sale and we were both winners.  I like the bottom line.
This morning Paul talked a lot in I Corinthians 15 (www.lifejournal.cc) about what resurrection really means.  He then cuts to the chase and tells you what the bottom line difference is in your life due to resurrection:  I Cor. 15:58- Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.  Because we have strong hope in the resurrected Lord and power from on high in our salvation, we need to stand strong in the Lord and be diligent in our work for Him until He comes.  That is the bottom line!

No comments:

Post a Comment